January 6: Social gathering
2005 Apr 16 10:26

[vox] Thread-mapped conversations

I came across a survey on rec.juggling... googled and found a similar one
on rec.bicycles.misc... survey only took me a couple of minutes... demos
kept me playing around for awhile.

http://zesty.ca/threadmap/juggling.cgi [1]
http://zesty.ca/threadmap/bicycles.cgi

Consider the way experienced newsgroup or email group participants answer
one comment at a time, interspersing the original text with
comments... and how other people then comment on those comments...

These researchers have come up with a different way to present these
comments and their relationship to each other to help review archived
discussions.  I have mixed reactions to it, and am curious what other
people think.

WARNING: Javscript and CSS are both essential to get the feel of what they
are trying to convey.

---

[1] The subject of the particular thread demoed here is which random
sequences of higher/lower throws can be fitted together into jugglable
sequences.  You can just try to see how the conversation fits together
(recommended), or you can read
http://www.juggling.org/help/siteswap/faq.html to get a clue about what
they are actually talking about.  If obscure numbers bother you, you might
as well read the bicycling version.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing