2005 Mar 30 15:06

Re: [vox] Burning .iso images under Windows

on Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 04:40:03PM -0800, Marc Elliot Hall (marc@hallmarc.net) wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 02:14:01PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 09:00:59AM -0800, Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu) wrote:
> > >
> > > cdrecord has been ported to windows.
> > > http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/apps/cdrecord/en/index.html
> >
> > Beat me to it ;-)
>
> GnuwinII is no longer in development; and the cdrecord and related
> binaries available at that URL are... troublesome, relying as they do on
> a host of dependencies.

OK.  Well, then, there's the Cygwin port.

Cygwin:  http://www.cygwin.com/

cdrecord:  http://smithii.com/?q=node/view/9

> > Bootable distros can be loaded to RAM, sufficient memory available.
> > That's ~800+ MiB for Knoppix, but the LNX-BBC should run in ~128 MiB or
> > so.  I believe LNX-BBC includes CD burning tools.
>
> I am, in fact, also downloading a Knoppix image, to ensure compatibility
> before passing the point of no return.

Two additional useful utilities:

   Belarc (legacy MS Windows):  http://www.belarc.com/Download-auto.html
   system-info:  http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/LinuxSystemInfoScript

> > Too:  don't do the full ISO set.  Get the netinst and start with it (50
> > - 110 MiB).
>
> Normally, that's how I'd do it. However, I can't be sure that my network
> connection will be up and running immediately after starting the Debian
> install, as I'm relying on a skanky wireless network and a wireless
> chipset that is known to be a little on the bleeding edge of support
> under Linux. :-( My workplace doesn't allow the connection of "foreign"
> hardware to the network, either... a sensible precaution; but
> inconvenient for me.

Dig.

Peace.

    You're not a user, nitwit.