2005 Mar 28 08:41

[vox] [fwd] Converting Educational Software from MS Office toOpenOffice.]

Heh, interesting.  I didn't know Micrsoft is no longer supporting
("mainstream") Visual Basic after next week.  Apparently, tons of
VB developers are pretty pissed, too.

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Knut Yrvin -----

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 04:27:18 +0100
From: Knut Yrvin
Subject: Re: [school-discuss] Converting Educational Software from MS Office to
 OpenOffice.

mandag 28 mars 2005, 00:27, skrev Sweet Coffee:

> He indicated he would work with folks who could convert the
> present code to work with OO. It is my understanding that although
> OO does not support Visual Basic,

Microsoft don't support Visual Basic either. The Mainstream phase will
be in effect for six years after the product's general availability
date. Visual Basic 6.0 was generally available in January 1999.
Mainstream support will end March 31, 2005.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/support/vb6.aspx
http://visualbasic.about.com/od/imhoinmyhumbleopinion/a/VB6Petition.htm
http://www.builderau.com.au/program/work/0,39024650,39180842,00.htm

> Can educational programs be written for OO in VB or VBA? There is an
> offer to do so.

The question has to be reformulated. Since OpenOffice offer an extensive
integration through different programming API's (Application Program
Interface), there are no big task to program the desired application in
an standard programing language. That should be done in one of the
mainstream supported and maintained API's that are in OpenOffice.
Microsoft VB (Visual Basic) and VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) are
not one of these API's in OpenOffice.

Visual Basic is known for it's security deficiencies, and is fairly
outdated because it's limited support for programming server client
applications with Internet technology. The replacement from Microsoft
is C# that is a Java clone.

So the answer is to reprogram the program in one of the standard
languages that are offered. The shortest way is probably to go for the
built in StarOffice Basic. There are only minor differences between MS
VBA and SO Basic. Then the programmer don't need to recode the
application in a object-oriented manner, that could be an technically
more beneficial.

> I am sure more help would be appreciated, so I am also asking those
> in the SchoolFordge community to help out, if they can.

I you should have any luck get someone to help you, it's smart to ask
for help amongst the programing languages that are most popular, and
are free software. There are much more people that are fluent in C,
C++, Java, PHP and Perl compared to the two main programing languages
from Microsoft where one of them are not supported.

http://www.tiobe.com/tpci.htm
http://www.dedasys.com/articles/language_popularity.html

How Microsoft Lost the API War:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/APIWar.html