2005 Mar 23 23:01

Re: [vox] Exploits for non-admin accounts in Windows?

Re: [vox] Exploits for non-admin accounts in Windows?

Please don't flame me for quoting MS. :)

Me thinks the claims about not running as admin are a bit overstated. *Never* need to worry about this stuff? Hardly. At the same time, not running as admin on a networked 'doze computer is commonly held to reduce your exposure. Here's a running blog about [not]running as admin from an MS guy.

http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/archive/2004/06/17/157962.aspx

He even has a paragraph on why you shouldn't log on as admin if you are a developer.

The Windows Help and Support files installed with 2K & XP have an article on "Why you should not run your computer as an administrator".

...and if you Google for "don't use Windows admin account" or something like that, you'll find plenty more. Here are a couple.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_zdext/is_200310/ai_ziff108477
http://www.pluralsight.com/keith/book/html/howto_runasnonadmin.html

-Bob