2005 Mar 14 12:18

Re: [vox] [OT] Alternate Vehicle Advice

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 10:37:54PM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> I haven't seen a diesel vehicle mentioned.  Diesels' get nearly as good
> mileage as hybrids and are popular in Europe.  I looked and VW sells a
> diesel Golf... but not in CA!  I'm curious what people on the list
> thinks about diesels.  I had one once (VW Jetta) and really liked it.
>
> Jonathan
I've owned and/or regularly driven three diesel vehicles over the years
(most recently more than 15 years ago, so current models are sure to
vary): a Volkswagen Rabbit, VW Dasher, and Toyota pickup (the variety
before they started having names like "Tacoma or "Tundra"... just
"pickup").

The two VWs got approximately 38-42 mpg in a daily commute/teenager
driving mode, which for 1985-87 was *fabulous*. At the time, however,
diesel vehicles were exempt from emissions testing. And they would never
pass smog these days. The Rabbit was louder than the average eco-box of
the day, while the Dasher was roughly comparable in all respects except
speed off-the-line.

The Toyota was plenty powerful, and got 28-32 mpg in daily
commute/teenager driving mode. Even with a camper on the back.

Fuel availability was always a problem... But diesel was generally 15%
less than gasoline per gallon, so the inconvenience was worth it.

I particularly liked the pickup; I only stopped driving it when it was
totalled.

--
Marc Elliot Hall
P.O. Box 435