2005 Mar 14 16:33

Re: [vox] Caps-lock binding (was: vim no-brainer

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 11:43:35PM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Who else here don't use caps-lock?

Hey!  Stop stealing my questions! ;^)

> Do you use all 10 fingers (or 9, if you use only one thumb for the spacebar)
> for typing?

Not at all.  I don't type like people are taught, however.  (I started
typing on a Timex Sinclair 1000 [1] and a year later moved to an
Atari 1200XL [2]... fast forward about 10 years, and I got an IBM PS/2)

[1] 2K of RAM and a membrane keyboard... awww yeah...
    http://www.computercloset.org/Timex-Sinclair_1000.jpg

[2] Best... keyboard... EVER!  Wonderful feel to it, and look at all that
    space underneath to rest your wrists!
    http://www.atari-museum.de/atari/1200prot.jpg

> Do you ever use the extended keys (home, page up, end, delete, etc?)

Yes, quite a bit.

<snip>
> Anybody still use ctrl-insert for copy, shift-insert for paste,
> shift-delete for cut,

No...

> home for moving to the front of the line, end for
> moving to the end of the line, page up to move up a page, page down to
> move down a page, ctrl-page_up to jump to the first page, ctrl-page_down
> to jump to the last page,

Yes.  The editor in the Action! language cartridge on the Atari had some
extra key commands similar to these, which were extensions of what the
standard OS editor controls were (which you could use in BASIC, for example).

It took advantage of the fact that many keys could be modified by both
Shift AND Control.  The standard OS editor only used one or the other.

> ctrl-right_arrow to jump to the beginning of the
> next word, ctrl-left_arrow to jump to the ending of the previous word,

No.

> num-lock to type numbers really fast on the number pad or do
> calculator-style calculations or type in phone numbers like a telephone
> except upside-down,

At work, for enterting numbers into the cellphone simulator, yes.
(I'd prefer to use the 10 keys across the top in MOST cases, though, because
I know them better.  But, it doesn't support those. >:^P )

> caps-lock to type all-caps words like UNIX, shift-F12
> to save under Microsoft Word,

No.

> set keyboard speed to the fastest
> possible setting because you get annoyed by the slow default
> key-repeat rate, etc?  'cuz I do.

On the Atari, yes. :^)  There's a POKE you can do in BASIC.  Hehehe...

> When I switch between Vim and Word I get very confused!

I swtich between Emacs, Vim and Microsoft Visual Stupidio all day long,
but I guess since I don't use them in any kind of 'advanced' way, I don't
notice too much confusion.