2005 Mar 13 01:25

Re: [vox] [OT] Alternate Vehicle Advice

Richard Crawford wrote:

Last time I looked at the Honda Insight they were fairly inexpensive.

'Course, you have to be the size of your average anorexic midget to fit
into one of them.

I used to drive a Honda Insight. If you'd asked sooner I would have been glad to show it to you, but the lease ended in February and I turned it back in to Mel Rapton Honda. If you were to call them, they might be able to tell you what happened to it.

The Insight is a small car, but it's only a two-seater so none of the space is taken up by a rear seat. I always had enough room. I'm 5'8" and there was room to move the seat further back. The cargo area isn't huge but there was enough room for my needs.

The car was a lot of fun to drive. The steering is very precise, the shift pattern (5-speed standard) is tight, and it accelerates well in the first three gears. 4th and 5th gear are more like overdrive gears. When you stop at a stoplight the engine shuts off. When you want to go again, shift into first and it instantly starts back up.

The car was rated for 60/68 MPG, and I was able to get that at first. I saw a slight drop in mileage from the switch from MTBE to gasohol, and toward the end I was getting more like 55-60 MPG in my daily commute. The only problem I ever had with the car was one time the hybrid control computer overheat and shut off during a long drive; I had to take it to the dealer to have it reset.