2005 Mar 04 14:48

Re: [vox] Mounting a Shared Win2k Drive for Students--no write access?

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 08:07:49PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> u/g/w:  user, group, world.
>
>   - user permissions apply to the owner of a file or directory.
>   - group permissions apply to the group owner of a file or directory.
>   - world permissions apply to _all_ users on the system.

I thought Unix and Linux filesystems were u/g/o:  user, group, other.

  - user permissions apply to owner of a file or directory
  - group permissions apply to the group owner of a file or directry
  - world permissions apply to all other users who aren't owner or in the
    owning group

e.g., if you do this:

  echo "hello" > my_file.txt
  chmod 007 my_file.txt

You cannot read or write to that file... OTHER people, who are not you
(and not in 'your' group) can, however.

  $ ls -l my_file.txt
  -------rwx  1 kendrick kendrick 6 2005-03-03 23:52 my_file.txt
  $ cat my_file.txt
  cat: my_file.txt: Permission denied

but then:

  $ su otheruser
  Password:
  $ cat my_file.txt
  hello

Now, this may be different that what we're talking about WRT Samba, though.

<snip>
> Samba, serving a share based on FAT, has to punt, then.  You're left
> with the situation you're describing here:  hard-assignment of
> permissions to u/g/w through your mount command.
<snip>

I just wanted to point out my understanding ('ugo' vs 'ugw'), in case anyone
here cared. ;^)