January 6: Social gathering
2005 Mar 03 20:24

Re: [vox] One more reason to prefer Linux...

Re: [vox] One more reason to prefer Linux...

Bill Kendrick wrote:
I think I'm going to sufficate holding my breath for these:

I'm going the easier route and thinking about switching to OS X in the near future. It solves my color management problem (I'm a photo nut), and will give me a laptop with WORKING suspend functions AND working
CPU throttling[1], as well as a pile of professional apps which aren't
available on Linux[2]. But I can still run UNIX apps, like OpenOffice, and have a command line for getting real work done.

The hardware design (I'm looking at the 12" PowerBook), all-metal case, and overall connectivity are also all quite sexy.

If it wasn't for the BSD base on OS X, I wouldn't even think of a Mac; now, it's a serious option.

[1] I have a refurbished Dell C600 at the moment, and I can either run APM and suspend the thing, or run ACPI and get SpeedStep, but without a working suspend function.

[2] I do like the Gimp, but Photoshop is still better, and has color management, which is a must for ANY print-ready work, ESPECIALLY digital photos.

--
Don Werve (Unix Sys Admin) | Email: donw AT agentsix DOT net

"Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action
has magic, grace and power in it." -- Goethe