2005 Mar 03 16:02

Re: [vox] One more reason to prefer Linux...

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 01:33:17PM -0800, Don Werve wrote:
> When Linux crashes, you scracth your head in puzzlement and investigate.
>  When Windows crashes, you shrug your shoulders in resignation and
> reboot.

Why, that's what I _just_ did!  It wasn't due to a crash, though.  Just the
fact that I could no longer drag-n-drop icons in Windows Explorer.
(I specifically wanted to do this because I have a large handful of small
images I want to load into Gimp, and typically do that by dragging them onto
Gimp's toolbox. (This works in Linux, too))

I could not drag icons.  Selecting multiple images and choosing
"Open With -> Gimp" from the right-click menu would only load one image,
rather than the whole set.

I tried killing Explorer (using Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to Task Manager and
then killing, and then restarting by hand when it didn't come back), to no
avail.

The nice thing about rebooting was ... my desktop background is showing up
again.  (Yeah, I have no idea what caused THAT, either...  I can't imagine
why embedded C compiler and mobile phone sync software would break it, but
that's the only thing that changed since yesterday.)

I think I'm going to sufficate holding my breath for these: