2005 Mar 03 20:17

Re: [vox] One more reason to prefer Linux...

Re: [vox] One more reason to prefer Linux...

Ken Bloom wrote:

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 12:41:10PM -0800, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, Richard S. Crawford wrote:

And behold, Micah Cowan flailed at a keyboard and did expound:

The exception to this could be if a faulty video driver hung. But of
course, if this happened to Windows, you wouldn't be able to get a task
manager, either. :-)

Yes, this is true. I hadn't thought of that. But even if my Linux box
had a faulty video driver, I'd still be able to SSH into it to examine the
situation pretty easily.

As someone who has had to cope with exactly such problems in Linux, I can
assure you that you are wrong.

I've had to deal with this before too. My ATI Rage 128 Pro couldn't
handle 3D acceleration, and it would frequently freeze up if it was
doing 3D acceleration. I could SSH in and kill the offending program,
and the display would become usable again.
I solved the problem by turning off 3D acceleration, and eventaully
got a cheap NVIDIA.

Yes, but I think the point Jeff was making is that it's not a given that you can just SSH in.