2005 Mar 03 12:23

Re: [vox] One more reason to prefer Linux...

Re: [vox] One more reason to prefer Linux...

Richard S. Crawford wrote:

For some reason, my computer's GUI crashed at work. Because it's a
Windows computer, I couldn't do a danged thing unless I rebooted. Pressing ctrl+alt+delete brought up the task manager at least, so I could
do a more or less clean reboot, but still. It was annoying.

At home I run FC3 with KDE as my window manager. If KDE crashes, I know I
can restart X by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace, without having to reboot the
entire computer. Or I can launch a shell and examine the system logs to
see what happened, and possibly fix whatever configuration setting got
messed up. With Windows, I could boot into safe mode, but that's no
guarantee that I'll figure out what happened. But I still have to reboot
the entire machine and that's a lot more time consuming than just
rebooting X.

The exception to this could be if a faulty video driver hung. But of course, if this happened to Windows, you wouldn't be able to get a task manager, either. :-)

-Micah