2005 Mar 02 15:42

Re: [vox] Mounting a Shared Win2k Drive for Students--no write access?

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:03:23PM -0800, Steve Hargadon wrote:
> I've mounted a shared Win2k directory in a K12LTSP 4.2 setup at a
> school where the students have traditionally all saved their work on
> their old Windows machines.
>
> No matter what I do, I can't seem to get write access for the student
> group id to be able to save documents.  Root can save, although it is
> asked for a password confirmation, but nothing I have done has changed
> the write permissions for the group.
>
> Here is the mount command I have used:
>
> mount -t smbfs -o username=student,password=abc123
> //sharename/Students /S-Drive

I usually use something like:

mount -t smbfs -o username=student,password=abc123,uid=unixuid,gid=unixgid,umask=002 //sharename/Students /S-Drive

where username/password correspond to the Win2k user, uid/gid correspond
to the Linux user/group, and umask corresponds to the umask, giving the
uid user and gid group 775 access to the system.

Jeremy