January 6: Social gathering
2005 Feb 28 20:30

Re: [vox] OT: Star Trek (was [vox-tech] Assorted OO questions)

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Ken Bloom wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:18:30AM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
[snip]
> > Did anybody else think the last two episodes were hillarious?  They
> > finally answered the question about the absence of Klingon ridges in the
> > original Star Trek, no doubt due to all the discussions in the fanland
> > since the first episode of Enterprise thanks to an episode of DS9 where
> > they go back in time of the original Star Trek and Worf makes a comment
> > about a shameful Klingon past about the period of missing Klingon ridges.
> > =P
>
> Well, now that the secret's out, clue me in.

It was a Klingon-made virus gone wrong, originally made in attempt to
follow the human race's successes in gene enhancements (ala Kahn.)  They
analyzed the enhanced human genes, tried to adapt it into their species,
and they succeeded in attaining superior strength, but there was a
side-effect of the Klingons dying and losing their forehead ridges.  They
lost their ridges apparently because they were basing their research on
human genes.  Anyway, they fixed the problem of the virus killing them,
but the superior strength had to be removed, too.  They now just have the
ridge-removing virus.

There's a little side-story with the whole gene enhancement story, too,
from several episodes back.  Apparently a guy named Soong (sp?) that was
totally into the gene enhancements (played by Brent Spiner) let loose the
once-restricted genes because he thinks that's the future of the human
kind.  (Remember Kahn is from 1997! O_o Other enhancement embrios were
frozen only for studies until Soong let 'em loose.)  At the end of that
saga, Soong thinks to himself that it's not good to make enhanced humans
by enhancing genes, but by making perfect androids that act like humans
("perhaps I can't do it within my lifetime, but perhaps my descendents
could in several generations, [not exact quote]" he tells himself.)  The
not-so-subtle hint being that he's supposed to be the ancestor of Nunian
Soong who made Data.

Hew~.  End of Enterprise summary and analysis!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius