2005 Feb 28 09:43

[vox] SuSe 9.2 problems

Hello. I was directed here by Emily Stumpf. I'm having two hardware problems with SuSe Linux 9.2. One is that I have a US Robotics /3Com OEM 2976 modem. I ran the RPM file from 3Com, and here's an excerpt from the description:

It basically parses the PCI device list created during boot. If it
finds a 3Com controller based modem it will then call setserial with
the appropriate parameters. If no parameter is passed 3ComMdm will
default to /dev/ttyS3. If you installed the 3ComMdm program from
the RPM archive 3ComMdm-1.0-1.rpm then your system should be ready
to go every time you boot. The installation provided the /etc/rc.d/init.d/serial script and the proper linkage with /dev/modem.

Sounds good, but every time I boot up it reverts to the external modem. If I run the script again, it works fine until the next time I reboot, then I'm back where I started.

The second problem is that I bought a HighPoint Rocket 100 ATA 100 disc accelerator which says "Linux supported" on the package, hoping to have four media drives (CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM and DVD-RW) on my system. Turns out there's a driver for SuSe 8.0, but for anything above that there's an open source "build your own" kit that's a bit advanced for me. The instructions in the RPM file run:

2. Build the driver
---------------------
1) Install kernel source package and building tools.

You shall use same configuration for the kernel and the driver.
Otherwise the driver may be unable to load or work abnormally.
If you are using stock kernel, obtain the configuration in your Linux
distribution (e.g. the kernel configuration file for Red Hat stock kernel
can be found under "configs" directory in kernel source tree). Copy the
configuration file to <your-kernel-source-dir>/.config and setup the
kernel headers using "make oldconfig" and "make dep" commands before you
build the driver.
Please refer to the documents in your Linux distribution for kernel
configuration.

If the kernel contains built-in IDE support for HPT37x controller,
you must disable the kernel support before using this driver. You can
either rebuild a kernel without HPT37x IDE support, or use boot parameters
like "hdx=noprobe" to disable the built-in driver.

2) Extract the driver files to somewhere.

3) Build the driver (example):

# make KERNELDIR=/usr/src/linux-2.4.7-10
3. Using the driver
---------------------
1) Load module "scsi_mod" and "sd_mod" if they are not built into kernel:

# modprobe sd_mod

2) Load the driver.
# insmod ./hptr100.o

For kernel 2.6, the driver module is "hptr100.ko". Also you need to use
the 2.5/2.6 module-init-tools (you can get them from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/).
modutils from 2.4 won't work with 2.5/2.6.

If someone could either expand on this or walk me through it I'd greatly appreciate it.

--Bruce Duncan