2005 Jan 30 22:32

[vox] [fwd] SVLUG Feb 02: The GoSSIP Project (San Jose)

----- Forwarded message from Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net> -----

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:30:53 -0800
From: Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG Feb 02: The GoSSIP Project
To: svlug-announce@lists.svlug.org

We're pleased to announce the next meeting of the
Silicon Valley Linux Users Group! ( http://www.svlug.org/ )

WHAT:

  The GoSSIP Project
  (Gossip Optimization for Selective Spam Prevention)

WHEN:

  Wednesday, February 2, 2005,
  7pm-9pm or so.

WHO:

  Mark C. Langston

BACKGROUND:

  GOSSiP (Gossip Optimization for Selective Spam Prevention)
  [ http://sufficiently-advanced.net/ ] is a distributed, peer-to-peer
  reputation management system.  It tracks the behavior of e-mail
  senders, and shares senders' reputations among participating mail
  servers.  These reputations may then be used by mail servers as part of
  a comprehensive program to combat unwanted e-mail.

ABOUT THE SPEAKER:

  Mark C. Langston has been doing systems administration for more than
  10 years.  In that time, he has worked for small groups and huge
  companies.  He has worked in academia and industry, for startups and
  long-established companies, and for salaries ranging from
  below-subsistence to obscene in size.  He's worked his way from the
  most junior of technical employees to Chief Technical Officer and
  corporate board member.  He is on the advisory committee for the Linux
  Professional Institute certification, and is an active member of SAGE
  and USENIX.

WHERE:

  Cisco Building 9 in Cisco's "Vineyards Conference Center".
  This is at Cisco Systems' East Tasman campus in North San Jose.

  Usually we have only half of the conference center so you'll be directed
  right or left once inside to the side where the meeting is.  Directions on
  how to get there are listed at:

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9.shtml

  We've tried our very best for these directions to be accurate.  If you
  have any improvements to make, please let our Web Team know!
  web-team at svlug.org

NOTES:

  If you take transit, be aware that almost everything has changed recently.
  The VTA light rail extension to Alum Rock is open now.  And the
  VTA 180 Express buses from Fremont BART now stop at VTA's Great Mall
  light rail station, making the transit trek from the East Bay easier
  than before.  Other bus routes and schedules have also changed recently.
  SVLUG's transit directions have been updated:

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/cisco-9-transit.shtml

  If you arrive with the peak of the crowd, there may be a small line
  at the sign-in table, where Cisco's security will ask you to sign in.
  (The facility is Cisco's private conference center which is not usually
  available for public meetings.  SVLUG appreciates being given the rare
  privilege to meet here!)

  After the speakers end their presentation there is usually a Q&A session,
  time for job seekers and employers/recruiters to meet, and door prizes if
  any are provided to SVLUG.  When the meeting is over people are encouraged
  to chat a bit, but also to exit the building so Cisco can lock up.  Don't
  worry, a lot of us go to dinner afterward so there's plenty of time to chat
  outdoors or offsite.

We look forward to seeing you there!

restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
selection at the meeting.

-bill!
http://www.svlug.org/
Silicon Valley Linux Users Group