2005 Jan 18 16:10

Re: [vox] PGP question: Multiple Machines [signed]

Re: [vox] PGP question: Multiple Machines [signed]

Richard S. Crawford wrote:

I started playing with PGP over the weekend, and I'm having fun using
KMail at home to sign my e-mail and encrypt documents and generally have a
good time.

But since I use at least three different computers to access and send
e-mail and documents -- my FC3 desktop, my WinXP/FC3 laptop, and my Win2K
desktop at work -- how would I address the issue of signing e-mails when
my secret key is only on one of those three machines? Would I use a
different key? I certainly don't feel comfortable copying the secret key
from one computer to another, even over SSH, since that feels like
defeating the purpose to me.

...Or am I missing something fundamental about how all this works?

(Obviously, since this e-mail is sent via Squirrelmail from my desktop at
work, it's not signed.)

Richard,

I believe that's how it generally works. You would use the same key for signing everywhere. Some people copy that key to a usb key fob and then can sign things from any computer, but I think that you understand the risks involved with that. You at least trust that your three computers are virus/spyware/etc free, and so copying your private key to those "trusted" machines should be no big deal.

Good Luck
Mark

--