January 6: Social gathering
2005 Jan 19 10:58

Re: [vox] Are GPG signatures legally binding signatures in California?

on Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 09:15:47PM -0800, Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu) wrote:
> Are GPG signatures legally binding signatures in California pursuant to
> California Government Code 16.5 http://www.ss.ca.gov/digsig/code165.htm?
> Does anybody know? (Does anybody have a lawyer they could ask?)

I suspect the question really hinges on the party/ies you're interacting
with.  I also suspect that finding out what constitutes a legal
signature might be an interesting area of research.

Note that a binding contract can be based on a handshake, verbal, X, or
quadruplicate triple-signed forms.  A large part of the value lies in
being able to substantiate existence and terms of the agreement after
the fact.

Other than that, Larry Rosen (larry@rosenlaw.com) is among the
technically-proficient lawyers I'd point people at.

Peace.

    While the grass grows, the steed starves.