2005 Jan 14 12:35

Re: [vox] [OT] Anyone else getting hit with a deluge of virus emailbounces?

on Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:59:09AM -0800, Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net) wrote:

> It seems the latest(?) Windows virus is hitting people hard, and I'm one
> of them! >:^(
>
> Yesterday morning, I was greeted with nearly 900 bounced emails
> (including about 300 "you sent a virus" bounces) in my inbox.
> Today, the number skyrocketed to nearly 4000.
>
> I've asked my ISP if they can filter some of this stuff.
> (I already filter messages with the word "virus" into my spam folder.
> I don't spend much time /talking/ about viruses, compared to how often
> braindead servers complain that I sent them.)
>

> Is anyone else getting hit with these?  Or am I just lucky because some
> particular box out there has my address in it for this virus to use?

No more than usual.

Earthlink (Netcom's current owner) filters out viruses, so I tend not to
see them.  Except for the first instance of the day, which triggers a
"courtesy" notice.  Which I really don't want either.  So I bounce 'em
to abuse@<my isp>

Much as I theoretically prefer unmediated pipe, truth is it's not
tenable on dialup any more.  Even standard spam is now 200+ items daily.

Peace.

    Erin Joyce:  can't get the story right, won't correct it
     http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=96625