Re: [vox] fish?

On 30 Dec 2004, at 23:09, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

The strangest thing just happened. I was reading a book on Sun OS trying to
figure out how to modify my .bashrc to permanently alias rm to rm -i. So I
was playing around by typing "touch fish" and "rm fish", etc. After awhile I
became tired and mistakenly typed just "fish." All of a sudden the rules of
the children's card game "Fish" came up on the screen. And to make matters
even more weird the computer started playing a game of Fish with me.

Interestingly, OS behaviour differs on precedence of -i and -f. AIX for example, -f does not override a -i whereas on GNU implementations of rm, -f overrides -i. This has led me to give more credence to not aliasing rm or cp or mv to their -i equivalents since the order of precedence is not standardised.

Be warned when working across multiple Unix and -like variants.

Regards,
Greg