January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox] Micah's talk (was: IMPORTANT: Meeting moved tonight!)

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 10:00:23PM -0800, Henry House wrote:
> På onsdag, 29 december 2004, skrev Micah J. Cowan:
> > > >

> > > Feburary 1st it is!  Thx :)
> >
> > I think maybe I'll just focus on the PostScript stuff, along with a
> > discussion of OpenType fonts and their adaptation to PS Type 1 fonts
> > suitable for use with TeX or other tools.
>
> I'm interested in how to make use of the extended glyphs in modern fonts,
> such as GNU FreeFont, for typesetting characters that lie outside of the
> ISO-8859-1-equivalent subset of Unicode.

I'm not completely certain of what you're asking for here. Is this in
the context of TeX? Because TeX already uses several characters that
lie outside the ISO-8859-1 character set, including left and right
double quotes (as well as the single versions, which technically
aren't part of that character set, although there are a couple of
characters which are frequently substituted) and a few all-important
ligatures.

I'm definitely intending to illustrate how to alter the encoding of a
Type 1 font in PostScript, and how to access indirectly-accessible
glyphs within the font. For instance, one can use a program such as
FontForge to generate a Type 1 font from an OpenType font, which
contains every single glyph that appears in the original font;
however, only 256 of those glyphs will be available in the font
encoding, and so the remaining glyphs will not be available when
displaying strings of text. But within a PostScript program, it is
still possible to display those glyphs. I will probably briefly
demonstrate FontForge and otftottf (I think that's what it's called).

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah@cowan.name