[vox] Dead Computer

I have an ancient P-II 350MHz PC (192 MB RAM and 6GB HD) which I inherited
from a friend of mine.  It had an old installation of Win98 on it, and I was
planning on fixing that and installing Debian on it.  It was set to boot from
the hard disk, though, so I entered Setup and changed the boot sequence to
boot from the CD-ROM and stuck the Debian disk in.  Unfortunately, it did not
boot: instead it gave me an error telling me about invalid boot media.  And
now I believe I have killed the boot loader or something, because if I set
the device to boot from either the hard drive or the CD-ROM, I get the same
error.  I set it to floppy and used Tom's Root Boot to fdisk the hard drive,
hoping to flag the hda1 partition as bootable, and then go from there, but
that didn't work out either.

The CD drive is actually a DVD/CD drive, but I do not have the installation
disk that came with it.

So.  What to do?  I'm thinking about just dumping this computer on someone
else, because it doesn't meet any of my own needs and I'm hesitant to spend a
lot of time on it.  I figure it would make a dandy router or firewall,
though, if someone wanted to take the time to fix up the boot sequence.

--
Richard S. Crawford (mailto: rscrawford@mossroot.com)
AIM: Buffalo2K / http://www.mossroot.com