2004 Oct 11 19:49

Re: [vox] SuSE Price Disappointment

On Monday 11 October 2004 11:37 am, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> I notice that SuSE 9.2 Professional will be out in November for $89.95.
> I am disappointed that there is no advertisement for a 9.2 Personal
> Edition for $29.95.  In the past there's always been the less expensiver
> version.  I don't know if SuSE will release a cheaper version later.  I
> don't know what their practice is.  But I'm wondering if there's been a
> change as a result of a big business like Novell taking SuSE over.

I don't see much sense in paying for a Linux distribution
for personal use, especially with the inevitable upgrade
treadmill.  There are so many excellent free ones out
there... Slackware, Debian, Gentoo and others.  Once you
have one set up, everything is pretty much the same.

Companies like SuSE and Red Hat have shareholders who demand
maximum profit.  Which is fine for them, but it's the kind
of business model which creates the problems that led to the
popularity of Free Software in the first place.

Linux works best when you take advantage of its freedom.

-- Rod