2004 Sep 28 23:05

Re: [vox] LTSP, a School District, and Windows...

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:25:27 -0800, Edward Elliott <ed_elliott@email.com> wrote:
> Steve, let me drop a note and contribute a bit of background research in case that's helpful.

Great feedback.  I don't think it's the licensing fees, necessarily,
or the alternative programs available (which I looked at as well)--I
think it was more like this:

"We support 4,000 computers with two technicians, and we aren't sure
we even want to talk to you.  We have several Windows programs which
we depend on for state reporting on student progress.  You say you can
run Windows program using Linux thin client, but I don't want to have
to switch the licensing the I currently have.  I have zero time to
talk, but if you'll show me you can run Mavis Beacon and Accelerated
Reader, then I'm willing to make the time to talk to you."

Now, I'm not sure I'm willing to jump through these hoops, but I want
at least to figure out what I'm up against.  This district has
multiple campuses, lots of students and pcs, and it would be a
significant opportunity to showcase the technology.

Steve