2004 Sep 26 18:27

Re: [vox] [OT] Length of time to infect a Windows computer?

Shwaine said:
> On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, ME wrote:
>> The only ways to install and upgrade without infection include:
>> * Sneaker-net with all updates (difficult, but not impossible)
>> * setup a filtered network/firewall to block all incoming connections
>> and
>> protect your windows box while you upgrade.
>>

> There's another way. Do all the installations and patching offline by CD.
> Use the MS TechNet security bulletin search
> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/CurrentDL.aspx) to download all
> the patches relevant to your install on something like a Linux box, then
> burn a CD of said patches. I also usually put a date ordered readme file
> so I can apply all the patches in order of release. The one good thing MS
> did with that TechNet search is you can restrict results not only by
> product, but also by service pack. It's more up-to-date and quicker than
> the CD by mail option that also exists.

Copy of patches to another media to move to the machine by hand is
"sneaker net" ;-)

"Sneakernet" gets its name from the idea that you are not connected to a
network, and copy files to/from a machine by walking (presuming you are
wearing "sneakers") to/from the machine with a kind of media.

Sneakernet may work with CD, Floppy, Tapes, nearly any kind of media you
may want to consider.

-ME