2004 Sep 26 15:19

Re: [vox] [OT] Length of time to infect a Windows computer?

Re: [vox] [OT] Length of time to infect a Windows computer?

on Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 11:56:13AM -0700, Robert G. Scofield (rscofield@afes.com) wrote:

<...>

> I don't use XP, but U.C.S.C. is requiring all XP users to download
> Service Pack 2.  After a while the U.C.S.C. Res Net will not allow any
> users of XP to connect without a Service Pack 2 install (which is over
> 1 gig).

Actually, in the organizational form, 263 MiB.  Don't ask me why I know
this.

The individual user download is smaller.

BTW, how do students solve the catch-22 of installing SP2 before
connecting to ResNet?  ;-)

As for UCSC's practices:  very typical of organizations.

There've been some articles on SP2 takeup, apparently MSFT's at only a
relatively small fraction of the downloads they thought they'd have by
this time, for a number of reasons.  University new-student influx being
a big part of it.

Peace.

    A reed before the wind lives on, while mighty oaks do fall.