2004 Sep 23 01:13

Re: [vox] [fwd] [svlug] mission critical computing and air safety

on Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 01:00:09PM -0700, Ken Bloom (kabloom@ucdavis.edu) wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 12:48:34PM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> > Unfortunately, you can't stop & restart processes like daemons on
> > Windows as easily as you can on Linux or UNIX.  If the daemons have
> > problems, you're stuck and have very little choice but to restart
> > the whole system.
>
> Well, assuming you still have the RAM to work with the GUI, you can go
> to the services management panel and restart the service there. If
> you're administering by anything that uses a command line (assuming
> such a thing is possible), then use the net command, specifically "net
> stop ServiceName" "net start ServiceName".

...assuming you can work out what the service name is.  The CLI args
don't necessarially map to anything sensible, nor are they inherently
discoverable.  I've got a number of systems with the Cygwin utilities
installed (ergo:  remote ssh), and it's *still* a PITA trying to figure
out how to nudge the 'Doze side of things.

Contrast with the GNU/Linux side:  your services all live under
/etc/inet.d, as filenames (assuming SysV init, and IMVAO, Berkeley-style
init sucks rocks through a rusty straw...).  You can figure out WTF is
what, trivially.  'Doze just Gets In The Way.

...example.  Today, it was easier to add a 'Software' Samba share to
Apache as an aliased path, than to try to figure out how to get SMB
fileshare working under remote ssh sessions.  Rolling out SP2 <groan>.

Once I'd tweaked that (30 seconds), run a shell loop (for server in
<list> do ssh $server wget <url>; done).  Which took ~100 minutes to
run, but I wasn't there watching fscking pages float between two icons
(maddening, I tell, you, maddening).

> Am I missing some practical limitation to this?
>
> > But leaky daemons is a problem with UNIX & co as well as Windows.
> > UNIX is not leak-proof... just imaging going through all the daemons
> > and restarting them one-by-one to find the daemon with leaky memory!
> > -- might as well just reboot...
>
> One word: top

...or two:  ps aux ;-)

...but still: the ability to identify processes and filter through
process lists (grep, awk, sort...) is *very* damned useful.

Peace.

    Save Bob Edwards!       http://www.savebobedwards.com/