2004 Sep 22 13:00

Re: [vox] [fwd] [svlug] mission critical computing and air safety

Re: [vox] [fwd] [svlug] mission critical computing and air safety

Unfortunately, you can't stop & restart processes like daemons on Windows
as easily as you can on Linux or UNIX.  If the daemons have problems,
you're stuck and have very little choice but to restart the whole system.

But leaky daemons is a problem with UNIX & co as well as Windows.  UNIX is
not leak-proof... just imaging going through all the daemons and
restarting them one-by-one to find the daemon with leaky memory! -- might
as well just reboot...

Last time I was at UCD, both the CS and the EE departments regularly
rebooted their computers -- Linux, HPUX, Sun, SGI, etc.  Of course, this
is all done automatically, and the EE department had the sensibility to
reboot only if nobody's logged into the system.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
AIM: markus kimius