2004 Sep 09 07:17

Re: [vox] DSL providers?

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Henry House wrote:

> I figured that vox is a good place to pass along this question :-). I have
> heard almost entirely good reports about Omsoft and mostly good reports
> about Calnet, but mixed to bad reports about other providers. The current
> DSL (SBC) is quite terrible --- ssh sessions hang every few minutes, making
> the DSL almost unusable for work. A dynamic IP address is okay since I do
> not indend to run any servers.

Why does ssh session end?  I got SBC and the connections are fine (here in
LA.)  It might be an SSH daemon configuration, maybe, for security
reasons?

I'm using SBC Yahoo right now.  It's a great service at a cheap price.
Their wireless router (which also has two wired connections, one ethernet
and one USB) with a built-in firewall is awesome, especially considering
it's only $50 after the $100 instant rebate.

I also use Sonic.net at my parents' place (my "permanent address") -- it
costs more, but you get static IP and an awesome shell account.  I found
that going through Sonic.net, though, is *more* hassle than talking
directly though SBC.  There was some initial installation issue, and to
make a long story short I ended up paying some fees that I'm sure I
could've gotten waived had I been talking to SBC directly because
Sonic.net didn't know how to do it.  Anyway.  I'm one of those few people
that have NEVER had any trouble with Pacbell/SBC so your mileage will so
much vary.

BTW, whenever I talk to SBC tech support, I just boot into Windows so I'm
on the same page as them (since they're not equipped to handle Linux
users).  And if they think it's some configuration issue, I mention that
it doesn't work under Linux either, and everything stopped working in both
OS together.  They usually catch on then that it's not my computer issue
but some line or hardware issue.  That skips through a lot of the
routine things.  They usually still make me cycle the modem though
("turn it off, then turn it back on...")

At one point I managed to get SBC's DSL hardware department number (not
their ISP department which is the department you end up talking to if you
call their "Internet Services" number) -- they're so much more
knowledgeable than the ISP dept, and much better equipped to analyze the
line conditions and your connection.  Whenever something used to go wrong
with my DSL connection, I'd check the connection under both Windows and
Linux, cycle the modem, then call them up and ask them to check the line
conditions and cycle my DSLAM (the other end of your DSL modem) 'cuz I've
ruled out everything else.  They usually catch on pretty quick that I know
what I'm doing and work with me at a professional level and any advices
they offer at that point is quite sophisticated and logical.

That's just my experience, though.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim