2004 Sep 04 21:34

Re: [vox] OT: grass fires

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 07:07:00PM -0700, Shwaine wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Ken Bloom wrote:
>
> >I'm home in Sunnyvale, and it was quite an adventure, finally arriving
> >2 hours late because of the grass fire in Vacaville.
> >
> >When I left Davis, there was a grass fire on 113 near Russell, a hop
> >skip and a jump from my apartment. Anybody know how bad it got, and
> >whether they've got it out? (It didn't reach my apartment, thank God
> >-- if it had then I wouldn't be writing this over SSH on the computer
> >in my apartment)
> >

> According to the news it was contained, but some buildings were damaged.
> News10 makes it sound like the complexes were okay, but a private home got
> badly damaged. I was actually avoiding the area because my asthma is bad
> enough from this dust, didn't need smoke on top of it. Links:
>
> http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/3705642/detail.html
> http://www.news10.net/storyfull1.asp?id=7981

Thanks for the information.

By the way, my current backup strategy is geared for the loss of a
hard disk, God forbid, or for the loss of the computer. But I don't do
distributed backups, so it's not really geared for the loss of an
apartment (God forbid). How do you all do distributed backps of your
home machines? Where do you put extra CDs of the backups?
My key was last signed 08/18/2004. If you use GPG *please* see me about