2004 Sep 04 00:04

Re: [vox] Let's Kill the 76 Char Line Limit!

Re: [vox] Let's Kill the 76 Char Line Limit!

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Edward Elliott wrote:
[snip]
> The key problem with this is that I canít use my word processor to draft
> the email and then copy it over to the mail client.
[snip]

When you paste the text from your word processor to the e-mail client, the
e-mail client should automatically line-wrap it for you.  This is the job
of the e-mail client.  There should be a setting somewhere.

You're writing your e-mail on a word processor then pasting it into the
email client because you're using a web-based e-mail client, right?
There should be some line-wrapping setting somewhere on your e-mail
service.  Like on my Yahoo Mail account, there's a "Mail Options" setting
that looks like this:

   MESSAGES
   Screen Width:   [55] characters (range: 50 - 99 chars.)
   (composing      This is the maximum line length of your outgoing
   plain text      messages. The default value is 55.
   mail)

where [55] is the value that I can set.

Hotmail apparently has a ~78 character limit built into the system.  Gmail
has a nice 7X character limit built into it.  Everyone else is doing it...
everyone is line-wrapping!  Don't you wanna do it, too? =P

Seriously, problem with not line wrapping is not so much for when I'm
reading e-mails or replying to them (although constant use of Ctrl-J in
PINE does get annoying), but when I read e-mail replies that don't
properly quote the original e-mail that wasn't properly line-wrapped.
Perhaps more of the fault of the person replying rather than the person
who wrote the original e-mail, but if the person who wrote the original
e-mail wants a decent conversation from everyone then s/he can help that
by line-wrapping the original e-mail.  So I think it's more for the
benefit of the poster if s/he line-wraps, and less so for everyone else.
But that's just what I think.

I don't care.  Do whatever.  But nobody's gonna get tech help from me if I
can't make heads or tails of the e-mail thread, line-wrapped or not,
quoted properly or not.

-Mark "Ctrl-J" Kim

--
Mark K. Kim