January 6: Social gathering
2004 Sep 04 00:36

Re: [vox] [vox-admmapsin@lists.lugod.org]

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 06:42:31PM -0700, Shwaine wrote:
> Due to the setup of my domain hosting, I actually get everything directed
> at shwaine.com and malevolence.com (my old address I used to use for vox),
> not just specific email addresses (can't complain much though as the
> hosting is free). I redirect anything with "maps" in it to a specific
> folder. I just deleted it a bit ago, but since Aug 19th, I've received 201
> messages that have the word "maps" in the address, 162 of those are for
> the old malevolence.com address.

Hrm.  Sucks.  At some point, I believe we got all "MAPS" inclusion to go
into the domain part of an email address, so that people who run their
own mailservers don't see crud to "usMAPSername@domain.com".  But instead,
spammers' mail will get lost on its way to "username@doMAPSmain.com".

Recently, someone from SVLUG asked the Web Team if they could somehow munge
or remove addresses from archived posts.  Don Marti's response was a pretty
swift "No"...  his reasoning is that if we alter the medium (email) due to
abuse (spammers), /we/ lose.

While I do agree with that (fsck spammers, I'm still going to use my email
and make it easy for people to find my address and send me messages),
I also understand that in /practical/ terms, these days, spam is becoming
a deluge.

When setting up my high school 10 year reunion website, I created a form
which people could get to by clicking an "Email this person" link in
the list of graduates that we had collected.

It did not expose the address, and the email that the form sent came via
the webserver.  This way, peoples' addresses were not visible on the site
for both privacy reasons AND anti-spam reasons.

Perhaps I can look into setting something like it up on LUGOD.org.
Sadly, I would only be able to do it on the Members page, since that's my
baby.  I know very little about the way the mail archives work. :^(