2004 Sep 03 19:07

Re: [vox] [vox-admmapsin@lists.lugod.org]

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Micah J. Cowan wrote:

Ooh... not cool. It seems we need to take more drastic measures in
spam-guarding our e-mail addresses: our addresses seem to be getting
harvested. I just got a trojan mail that claimed to be from
"vox-admmapsin". It didn't come from LUGOD servers (naturally), but
somebody probably got my e-mail from the members list.

This is, of course, just one of some fifty or so spams I get every day
or two, but I just thought folks should be aware. I've been seeing
this sort of thing more often lately: people finally getting wise to
the simple spam guards.

Due to the setup of my domain hosting, I actually get everything directed at shwaine.com and malevolence.com (my old address I used to use for vox), not just specific email addresses (can't complain much though as the hosting is free). I redirect anything with "maps" in it to a specific folder. I just deleted it a bit ago, but since Aug 19th, I've received 201 messages that have the word "maps" in the address, 162 of those are for the old malevolence.com address. Several of those are duplicates, appearing to be emails where the spammer puts several addresses from the same domain in the To and they got multiple variations of the maps insert. To contrast, I've received 206 emails to various invalid usernames that do not contain the word maps to the malevolence.com domain in the same time frame. I haven't had enough such spam yet to the shwaine.com domain to set up a filter for it, although it's getting there.

I can't remember when I put in the filters, but it was quite a while ago, probably over a year ago. I know I haven't use the malevolence.com address for well over a year for vox (not that it would stop the harvesters from pulling it off the old archives now), so I probably put the filter in before that. The spam gathering has been going on well before that, just you wouldn't see it except for spoofed From lines like you had or if you get everything directed at your registered domain, like I do.