2004 Sep 07 10:07

[vox] Let's Kill the 76 Char Line Limit!

[vox] Let's Kill the 76 Char Line Limit!

As the old movie, I cantí take it anymore!! Of the dozens of groups and boards I belong to, LUGOD is the only one that restricts the member to non-wrapping text lines of 76 chars. Of the many technical, professional, healthcare, political, education, etc., this is the only one still forcing these strange restrictions on the members.

The key problem with this is that I canít use my word processor to draft the email and then copy it over to the mail client. And my previous email posting was certainly proof of the sad consequences of getting caught without my trusty word smithing tools. (Please donít reply with any flames about your favorite mail client, thatís not the point so please donít go off in that direction).

I seem to recall that there are some minority of members who have special mail issues that work best with 76 char lines. This is a great group, do we have any scripting geniuses that can write a PERL or Python script for the mail server that will reformat the emails for those two or three members addresses? Then the rest of us can stay messy and happy in the normal world of wraparound email text?

Letís catch up with the rest of the world and forget this archaic and user-unfriendly line restriction policy. It's way 20th century and the group is better than that nonsense.