2004 Sep 03 13:23

Re: [vox] K12LTSP, Linux Thin Client for Schools

Re: [vox] K12LTSP, Linux Thin Client for Schools

Steve, exciting and excellent work. Let me offer a couple of contacts.

1) Karstyn McKoy, the Director of IT at Horizon Instructional Systems
in the Sacramento area. I will add Karstyn to the BCC on this email and
he will get your contact information. Karstyn has done some excellent
work with Linux at Horizon.

Dan Maria Cui, a friend of mine, is currently an IT manager at a school
system in Bakersfield.I will copy Dan on the BCC and he will have your
contact info. Dan, Steve is a great guy, please do me a favor and
contact him to see if there is a fit between his project and your
work and contacts in education. (Please read Steve's original
post at the bottom of the email.)

2) Next week I have an interview with folks at the International
Writing Project in Berkeley. I will ask them if they have any contacts
that could help with this.

3) I saw an interesting article about refurbing old PCs with
Linux for schools. In case you haven't seen it, here is the
URL. http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3482499605.html

4) SUSE has given grants to US High Schools in the past. Their
US HQ is here in San Francisco, the contact number is
888) 875-468 and the PR peron's email is
 Martina Krahmer, Media Relations  martina.krahmer@suse.com
PR on SUSE at Chico State
http://www.suse.com/en/company/customer_references/pdf/chico.pdf

5) You're doing something exciting and exceptional, and I think
Tim O'Reilly would be interested in knowing about it and helping.
Here is a link, I'd recommend calling the company up and trying to
to his assistant. Ask for his recommendations and advice and I
think he'd lucky to hear your story.
http://www.oreilly.com/oreilly/tim_bio.html
Tom Adelstein just wrote an article on Open Source and California,
he has a book published by O'Reilly and might have a contact number
for you.  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7750

Pamela Samuelson at UC Berekeley is also a supporter of Open Source
http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/%7Epam/
She sits on the OSAF board.

Speaking of OSAF, Mitch Kapor would be fascinated by this, and
although he isn't working on an education project, I'll bet he
has great contacts and ideas that could help.
http://www.kei.com/homepages/mkapor/
http://www.osafoundation.org/OSAF_Corporate_FAQ.htm#Q4

6)The Taproot Foundation has also been recommended as
a terrifican resource for professional volunteers.
Here is the contact information I received from
Michael Boykin at CPC Job Connections:

Jeff Kruger
Volunteer and Outreach Manager
Taproot Foundation
466 Geary Street, Suite 300
San Francisco, CA  94102
415-359-1131
jeff@taprootfoundation.org

I'll bet Jeff has great ties into the education
area and would love to hear your story.

7) Last but not least, your brother Andrew probably still has
great contacts at Apple. If you had a scenario where iMacs could
be the LTSP client machines, I bet Apple could put you in touch with
Apple based schools and even help the project.

By the way Steve, since you are already linked into Africa, let me
add a site with some interesting news in the South Africa region.
Tectonic with support from the Thawte folks:
http://www.tectonic.co.za/index.php
If you're going all the way to Kenya, you might be able
to swing over to South Africa and hook up with these folks.