January 6: Social gathering
2004 Aug 11 22:56

Re: [vox] [Article] Why Can't We Get a Slimmer Windows XP?

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 05:56:54PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> An article about how MS is providing "XP Starter Edition" in countries
> where people don't typically buy their copies of Windows, and where
> Linux is taking off...  But not in the US... :^)
>
>   Why Can't We Get a Slimmer Windows XP?
>   By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, August 11, 2004
>   http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1634748,00.asp
>
>     "To me, this shows that Microsoft's first concern isn't the good
>     of its customers, nor knocking off Linux; it's all about preserving
>     its bottom line. Linux just happens to be the latest threat. Microsoft
>     loyalists should keep that in mind as they're shelling out money for
>     their next Windows update."

Isn't that the entire point of ANY for profit company?  Without profits,
a company is impotent and fairly useless.  Even in its hayday, Hewlett
Packard(a company that many respected because it treated both the world
it was in and its workers very well) still had profit on its mind.  I'm
sorry, but that has got to be the most obvious statement I have read in
weeks.