2004 Aug 10 13:01

Re: [vox] Wireless PCMCIA recommendations

Mark, I just got the DLINK DI-624 router and DWL-G630. Works
great and uses the Atheros chipset mentioned by Jonathan.

I haven't put them on my Linux system yet, but here's
the URL to the Linux fact sheet from DLink in case you
want to consider those products.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=487&Com=Yes&Question=General%20Linux

----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathan Stickel <jjstickel@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:59:41 -0700
Subject: Re: [vox] Wireless PCMCIA recommendations

Re: Mark
Re:
Re: You don't specify, but I'm guessing you want 802.11g.  From what I
Re: understand, the prism family chipset is one of the best supported in
Re: linux, so check here:
Re:
Re: http://prism54.org/supported_cards.php
Re:
Re: For a large table of cards and what chipsets they have, check here (last
Re: updated in February, so maybe a little dated):
Re:
Re: http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz
Re:
Re:  From that list, it looks like Netgear puts either prism or atheros
Re: chipsets in their 802.11g cards.  Atheros chipsets have good reports of
Re: linux support with the "madwifi" driver.  Seems to me like Netgear is a
Re: safe choice.
Re:
Re: Jonathan
Re:
Re:
Re: Mark K. Kim wrote:
Re: > I know there's been this thread not long ago, but I couldn't find at Fry's
Re: > the Orinoco card that was overwhelmingly recommended.  Does anyone know a
Re: > Linux compatible PCMCIA card that's a little more carried by major
Re: > computer stores?  Like... Netgear or Linksys or D-Link...?
Re: >
Re: > Thanks!
Re: >
Re: > -Mark