January 6: Social gathering
2004 Aug 06 11:07

Re: [vox] Linux No. 2?

on Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 08:32:12AM -0700, Rod Roark (rod@sunsetsystems.com) wrote:
> On Thursday 05 August 2004 08:12 am, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> > My son came up with this URL.  The claim is that Linux has surpassed the
> > Mac as the no. 2 desktop OS.
> >
> > http://www.macminute.com/2004/08/04/linux
>
> More interesting to me is IDC's claim (in the same article)
> that Linux will have 6% of desktops by 2007.  Might not seem
> like a lot, but it's huge in terms of *rate* of growth.
>
> And 6% will become quite annoying to hardware and software
> vendors who have had the luxury of shrugging off Linux
> compatibility in the past.

Note too:  IDC is talking about "units".  AKA "units shipped".  Not
conversions.

I suspect I'm not alone in claiming current reign over ten boxes, all
running Linux, only one of which "shipped" with it (though another
shipped bare).  We've got the classic counting problem going on here.

Peace.

    Ceterum censeo, Caldera delenda est.