2004 Jul 22 17:05

[vox] [fwd] Re: [Lug-nuts] ISO someone for TV interview

----- Forwarded message from Shu Chow <schow@macnexus.org> -----

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:24:28 -0700
From: Shu Chow <schow@macnexus.org>
Subject: Re: [Lug-nuts] ISO someone for TV interview
To: General SacLUG discussion <lug-nuts@saclug.org>

On 7/22/04 12:39 AM, "Bill Kendrick" <nbs@sonic.net> wrote:

> So...  did anyone see/record Shu on TV
> today?  (I assume it was on today :) )

I believe it was on the 5:00 pm news.  There's a companion blurb piece on it
at the site.

http://www.thekcrachannel.com/station/3561409/detail.html

Debriefing notes:

1) Interview was done at the SPCA.  My work office is a mess, and they
probably wouldn't have given me permission to use it since I was going to
bash the official standard browser of the company.  Home office was also a
mess

1) Per the Mozilla Foundation, I pitched only Firefox and only mentioned
Mozilla in the context of the Mozilla Foundation.

2) She did not ask me any details as to why Firefox was more secure. It was
just sufficient for me to say that it had a better security model and
implementation practices.

3) She was more interested in Firefox's features. We talked about popup
blocking, tabbed browsing, and the Google search bar.

4) I walked through the Firefox download process. They filmed me typing in
http://www.mozilla.org/firefox, scrolled up and down the screen a bit, and
clicking the Download Now button. However, the FTP server timed out! I
cancelled it and tried again, but it timed out again.

5) Luckily I had my laptop with me and I showed them Firefox. Unluckily,
it's an iBook. Astute viewers may find it weird that we're discussing
Windows vulnerabilities and using Mac OS X to demonstrate it.

6) Discussed the CERT Advisory. I made it a point to never refer to them as
CERT, but as the Dept. of Homeland Security.  Nobody knows who CERT is, but
everyone knows DoHS.  Viewers may get the idea that using IE helps
terrorists. That's good. If you use IE, you *must* be a friend of Osama.

7) At the beginning of the interview, they tried to get a site up on the
screen behind me. Mozilla.org and saclug.org's sites had too much white.
Debian worked, though.

8) She asked if I thought these vulnerabilities would be make a dent in IE
usage.  I said something to the effect of, "Of course, and we know this
because the Mozilla Foundation has seen Firefox downloads double since these
holes were discovered."  I never mentioned concrete numbers.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
bill@newbreedsoftware.com            "Avoid missing ball for high score"
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/