2004 Jul 20 10:55

Re: [vox] LUGOD member needed for TV interview

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 10:08:42AM -0700, Ken Herron wrote:

> --On Tuesday, July 20, 2004 09:52:35 -0700 Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 06:48:17AM -0700, donw@examen.com wrote:
> >>Screw that, I'm an expert! ;)  I can tell my tale of destroying a
> >>two-day build with an errant 'cp'...
> >
> >Heh, first thing I do when I get a new shell account is alias 'cp', 'mv'
> >and 'rm' to 'cp -i', 'mv -i' and 'rm -i', respectively. :^)
>
> Heh, the first thing I do when I log into a box with those aliases set is
> to curse the person who thought they were a good idea. Those aliases are
> dangerous. You get used to typing unnecessarily broad wildcards, then one
> day you log in somewhere where the aliases aren't in place and blow away
> half a filesystem.

I honestly can't disagree with that.  Not to mention, with '-i', you get
very used to hitting 'yes' a lot.  So, what I do, is alias everything as
*root* to '-i', and use /bin/$FOO when I know what I want to delete --
nominally after using a 'ls' to echo it first.

I've lost too much important crap with 'rm' to not be careful with it,
and the aliasing keeps any new admins from accidentally blowing stuff
away.