2004 Jul 09 11:56

Re: [vox] rm -rf * sucks...

ME said:

> Look on the bright side. At least you did not do this instead:
> server-name:/# ls tmp
> junk1 junk2 junk3
> server-name:/# rm -rf *
>
> :-)
>
> One of the many reasons why they say you should only become root if your
> have "root-like" things that need to be done.

>From my own history:

/etc/extraneous/# ls -laF

[buncha stuff]

..tmp -> /

[other stuff]

/etc/extraneous/# rm -rf *

...And for some reason on this computer, rm was set to follow sym links.

And I have a co-worker who insists on logging in as root on his computer
every day for every task anyway.  Ugh.

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)