January 6: Social gathering
2004 Jun 30 16:35

[vox] Time for a refresher talk on PGP/GPG? :)

[vox] Time for a refresher talk on PGP/GPG? :)

Appeals Circuit Ruling: ISPs Can Read E-Mail
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/30/2014242&mode=nocomment

  The US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit (covering Massachusetts,
  Maine, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island) has ruled that e-mail
  providers are not violating the law by reading users' e-mail without
  the user's consent. The decision finds that the Wiretap Act does not
  cover interception of communications where the communications are
  being stored, not transmitted.

Interesting, Chris DiBona talks about how it's odd so many people use things
like SSH and SCP, yet still use plaintext e-mail.  I'm a culprit of this,
as well. :^/

What About E-mail Security?
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2004-06-23-015-26-OP-SW-NT

  Ever used driftnet? I go to a lot of conferences, and one thing I
  find myself doing while speaking is checking how engaged the audience
  is by sniffing the 802.11b traffic in the room. Whether this is a
  measure of how absorbing I am or, to put it delicately, how
  self-absorbed the conference attendee is, is an open question. That
  said, it always is surprising to me how little encrypted traffic is
  flowing on the very open Internet.

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com            "Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted."
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/