2004 Jun 25 15:46

Re: [vox] More IE exploits

On Friday 25 June 2004 03:03 pm, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 06:55:41AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> > I also saw a reference to:
> >
> >   http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1617046,00.asp
> >
> > which says that a PC running IE can be compromised just by
> > viewing an image.
>
> BBC has more on this:
>
>   http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3840101.stm
>
>   "Users are being told to avoid using Internet Explorer until
>   Microsoft patches a serious security hole in it."

Actually... looking at both stories and taking them at face
value, it appears these are two entirely different security
holes.

The BBC refers to web sites that have been hacked and
contain malicious JavaScript.  The eWeek article talks about
malware that is hidden inside images - which seems more
serious, since many popular web sites allow outsiders to
upload images for viewing by anyone.

-- Rod