2004 Jun 25 14:56

Re: [vox] More IE exploits

This is getting into the vox-tech arena, so you might want
to open a new thread there if you want to follow up on this.
More below:

On Friday 25 June 2004 12:57 pm, Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> Rod Roark wrote:
> >What do you mean when you say the timing is off?
> >

> I don't know what I mean.  That is what the person who fixed the
> computer said.  He said that there might be some capacitor leakage, but
> he found no evidence of it.  I was running SuSE 9.0, and he said he got
> the Mandrake live CD to work.  So I downloaded Mandrake 10.0, and tried
> unsuccessfully to get it to install.  During one of those attempts I got
> an error message about a "syncing" problem.

That sort of sounds like a disk I/O error.  But it would
help to know what the exact message text was.

> As I see it, the fact that Windows98 now runs (it didn't before the fix)
> and Linux doesn't, shows that Linux is better.  I've seen this kind of
> thing at the installfests; Windows98 can run on improperly configured or
> running computers when Linux can't.  I've attributed this to the fact
> the Linux uses all of the computers resources while Windows doesn't.
> I've thought that the greater power, speed and efficiency of Linux is
> due to the fact that it uses all of the computers resources, and when
> those resources aren't fully available Linux doesn't run.  As you know
> Rod, I don't claim to be an expert.  This is just a belief I have.

It is true that Linux likes to use all available memory, so
if you have a bad spot in memory you might see a problem
that does not readily occur with Windows.  If you have more
than one memory stick installed, it would be good to test
with first one half installed, and then the other half.

Back to disk I/O, you can tell the installer that you want
to check for bad blocks when a target partition is
formatted.

Another common problem is CPU overheating, which can happen
when dust accumulates in the CPU fan over time, and can
cause all sorts of inexplicable problems.  In my experience
AMD CPUs are more sensitive to this than Intel.

-- Rod