2004 Jun 25 14:55

Re: [vox] More IE exploits

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 06:55:41AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> While reading comments on this slashdot story:
>
>   http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/25/0319208
>
> I also saw a reference to:
>
>   http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1617046,00.asp
>
> which says that a PC running IE can be compromised just by
> viewing an image.  Looks like any site which lets users
> upload images (e.g. eBay) can be abused by blackhats.
>
> We now seem to be at the point where an informed person
> would have to be certifiably insane to use IE.

I never thought Id see the day where I defend IE, but I
don't see your statement as being fair.  The biggest problem
with IE is not its buggyness, but its market weight.  I did
some quick googling for stats on this, and found that 95% of
the web uses IE.  So given that if you're attempting to do any
broadmarket web development, you're kinda stuck developing for
IE(unless of course you want to ignore the majority of your
market)  Even narrowing down your markets, you really cannot
afford to ignore IE, cuz if you do, some customer(or potential
customer) will suddenly report a problem with it, and then what
will you do? Say: Sorry sir/ma'am, we do not support IE, the
browser that comes standard on the most prevalent OS out there?

I would argue that you would have to be certifiably insane to
ignore IE if you do web development.