2004 Jun 22 00:09

Re: [vox] Email addresses on Members pages

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Rod Roark wrote:

> On Monday 21 June 2004 09:41 pm, Mark K. Kim wrote:
[snip]
> > How about this?: We can provide a field on the form for them to e-mail a
> > copy of the e-mail to themselves.
>
> Not your best idea.  ;-)  It would turn the server into an
> open proxy that can be abused by spammers.

It can.  But it's a common practice that hasn't been abused by
spammers yet (Xanga, for example, or the numerous e-card services, for
example.)  Until then, I think it's a safe technique to use.

I hope we're not giving ideas to the spammers... =P  But then again, why
would anyone want to abuse OUR website when there are numerous e-card
services and Xanga that use the same technique! =P

> > Well I prefer the above idea but here's a variation of the one you just
> > mentioned: How about we have them type in their own e-mail address, and we
> > e-mail them the address they want?  That way we have a record of their
> > e-mail address and who we're exposing our own e-mail addresses to.
> > Should make spammers think twice before spamming us..?
>
> Nothing wrong with that, but of course anyone who wants to
> be anonymous can be, just by getting a temporary yahoo
> account or some such.

But a standard e-mail harvest bots couldn't be automated to harvest
e-mails.  At least it would have to be tailored for our website, and that
takes work, work most spammers wouldn't deal with when there are numerous
other websites to be harvested from.

Just my 2 cents..!

-Mark

--