2004 May 23 01:56

Re: [vox] New laptop...

I found one person mention that laptop on the Gentoo forums. Looks like they got it working:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=162480&highlight=sony+vaio+v505

I do not know how everyone feels about tiger direct, but from what I have been reading, they do not have the best reputation.

This is from their Better Business Bureau file:

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record.
Specifically our files show a pattern of complaints alleging
dissatisfaction with product quality and performance, failure
to deliver promised goods or services, failure to eliminate
basic cause of complaints, misrepresentation in advertising and
marketing practices

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1983-p1-s2-d1.html
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/tiger_direct.htm

Not to dissuade you from buying from them and I am sure that people have had good service from them, but a heads up. I have gotten mixed results personally and seen this mentioned on the Gentoo boards and a couple other boards. I have been poking around for a new laptop as well ;-)

Dan

R. Douglas Barbieri wrote:
Wow! I am so pleased at all the responses I got!

While I was on the Tiger Direct site, I spied this laptop:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=709556&Sku=S167-3412&CatId=1064
(Tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/36dgt)

It's a Sony Vaio V505DC1PF. It has a lot of nice specs, but I found
absolutely no information on Google or Altavista about this laptop and
Linux. On the off chance, does anyone out there own this model? It's got
a lot of features I need at the right price.