January 6: Social gathering
2004 May 18 15:05

Re: [vox] Dixon Public Library Kiosk

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 02:06:21PM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
<snip>

> I hadn't thought about the possibility of a Spanish interface to the
> kiosk.  That would be an excellent idea.

Should be easily done, thanks to KDE.

If you do something like default (unchangable, of course!) bookmarks or
a 'home page' of links, pointing to both 'normal' (English) Google.com and
Spanish Google.com would be a friendly thing to do, I think.

Might want to consider allowing easy input of accented characters, via the
little taskbar keyboard applet thingamobobber in KDE, as well.

I'm totally not finished with this, but here are the docs I was putting
together as I constructed the IceWM / KDE 3.1.5 / Debian Woody Linux kiosk
that's set up at Chamonix Coffee...

  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/bill/misc/kiosk/

My current KDE config files barf on KDE 3.2, last I checked. :^(
Also, I'm using IceWM rather than KDE.  The only real KDE components I'm
using are kdialog and Konqueror.

people.  And they're working on a GUI configurator.  I haven't tried it out
myself, since it came out after I set up the coffee shop kiosk.  I don't think
it's completely finished yet, so you'll almost certainly need to do some
hand-tweaking.

Of course, the more the merrier!  If you have problems while setting it up,
those problems end up going away in the next release, if you post a note
to that list and/or to bugs.kde.org.  ;^)

Good luck!