2004 May 14 09:32

Re: [vox] [OT] Budget Surplus - How Do I Spend It?

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:06:38AM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> You seem to have discovered a major flaw in the Free
> Software model.  The damn stuff's free.

Yeah. Isn't that great? It just doesn't do what we need it to without
massive amounts of tweaking. If we buy a commercial package of, say,
help desk software, the tweaking is included in the "price". With Open
Source - Liberum, for example - the baseline functionality is there, but
to make it work with our business processes, we still need to dedicate
substantial additional resources. That's hard to sell to upper
management.

> How about making donations to worthy FOSS projects?  Would
> be great publicity.

Let's just say that with the current state of California's budget, the
announcment of a non-profit organization that receives about one-third
of its funding from State sources donating money to a "Free Software"
project would fly about as well as Alan Greenspan in Spandex tights.

> -- Rod

Marc Elliot Hall
P.O. Box 435
Shingle Springs, CA 95682