2004 May 15 09:03

[vox] Does this sound...totemo baka?

I've been running through my mind, coming up with ideas of how to make
an income after I leave my wonderful cush sysadmin job and go back to
school full-time to finish off my BA and MA.  I've got money saved up,
and so don't 'technically' need to work, but I don't feel like finishing
school up and having insufficient funds to purchase a postage stamp,
which by the time I graduate, will probably cost several thousand
dollars.

One of the ideas I came up with, partially inspired by LERT, is offering
contracting / consulting / support services to area businesses and schools
interested in using open source software, covering everything from
drop-in general replacements for applications running on Windows
(Mozilla, OOo, etc.), to full-blown Linux setups using LTSP.  I've got a
pretty decent sysadminning background on both Linux and Windows, so I
can offer services for both, as well as security services -- things like
firewalls, intrusion detection, setting up edge-level mail servers with
virus scanning and spam filtering, etc.

But, the question remains: Does this sound like a totally stupid idea?
If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to what reasonable rates
would be, as well as good places to advertise?  I've got some ideas, but
it'd be nice to hear back from the local linux geeks as to what their
ideas are.

Oh, and you'll see me at more than one meeting a year after I'm not
working full-time and doing night classes. *grin*

Thanks-in-advance!